Terminal view alignment at bottom might be better

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Terminal view alignment at bottom might be better
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:21:00 -0500

After using the GUI for a while I've noticed that the alignment of the terminal window is at the top, meaning that there is always a complete line and not a fraction of a line visible at the top. The consequence of this is that the bottom of the terminal is not aligned and there can be a fraction of the line extending past the end of the view depending upon how one manually sizes the window. This isn't nice to work with because all the activity when typing is at that bottom line. If one thinks about it, the typical terminal window in a desktop environment doesn't have this concern because the overall size of the window jumps in discrete character heights, not pixel sizes when adjusted.

The routine that computes position, from what I gather, is TerminalView::scrollImage in TerminalView.cpp, and in fact the alignment point does seem to be upper left:

// note:  it is important that the area of the display which is
// scrolled aligns properly with the character grid -
// which has a top left point at (_leftMargin,_topMargin) ,
// a cell width of _fontWidth and a cell height of _fontHeight).

The code in this file is derived from somewhere else, so I'm not sure how we handle this situation. Just make edits?

I suppose there are two ways to address this:

1) Allow alignment at the top left, but make sure there is no fractional line at the bottom. Instead, allow there to be a fractional line of white space at the bottom.

2) Alignment at the bottom left, which means that the top of the terminal window is where there will be a fractional line.

I kind of prefer the second behavior for the reasons that the top of the window isn't where the user's eyes are drawn when typing and also a fractional line at the top does give the impression that the text is scrolling upward and there might be additional lines scrolled past the top of the window.

Dan