RE: mesh refinement

From: Marco Vassallo
Subject: RE: mesh refinement
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 08:25:39 +0200

> From: address@hidden
> Subject: mesh refinement
> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 06:46:43 +0200
> CC: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
>
> Marco,
>
> mesh handling functions look very nice, well done!
>
> From your blog:
>
> "The code, which is available here, allows us to obtain either a uniformly refined mesh or to specify the list of the vertices we want to be refined."
>
> I guess you actually meant "cells to be refined", right?

Hi,

Yes, sorry, they are obviously cells, as I've shown in the mini tutorial!

> "P.s. As you have probably remarked, our functions are not able yet to treat some information available in the e matrix. For example the label of the domain to the left/right of the side elements, but we'll work on it later.."
>
> The function msh2m_topological_properties can probably do that for you in 2d already, give it a look, extensions to 3D should not be too difficult.

That is a very good news, I was afraid of how we could have done it!

> You should now work on a work-plan for the rest of the project.
>
> I would suggest using TDD:
>
> 1) First write an example of how you expect the Octave interface to look like,
> e.g. rewrite some of the C++/Python tutorials using Octave syntax, to get an idea
> of the classes and methods you need to implement
>
> 2) Define a smaller test for each of the classes/methods you need and define a timeline
> for its implementation (be conservative when estimating development times!)
>
> 3) Start coding!
>
> c.

Sounds good to me, but it is not yet clear to me if I have to start with pre-built variational form and to extend it later, or if we directly start with a generic interface for DOLFIN/UFL