Re: Compiling pthreads with MXE/MinGW

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Compiling pthreads with MXE/MinGW
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:05:31 -0400

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

After looking at how pthreads is compiled under MXE/MinGW, I'm starting to doubt the generated DLL is actually valid. The way it works is that it compiles a static version of libpthreads.a, then it generates the DLL using the script make-shared-from-static.

The static library is compiled using the target GC-static, and if you look into [1], you can see that it defines PTW32_STATIC_LIB. Now it you look into [2], you can see that the whole body of dll.c is ignored. In other words, I think the DLL initialization routine (DllMain) is missing in the generated DLL; hence the pthreads DLL is invalid.

Michael.

Initially, I looked into that, because pthreads is marked as a dependency for fltk. But this is useless, as fltk configure script explicitly ignores pthread for fltk, and use Win32 threads instead.

Michael.