Re: Languages files for the gui

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Languages files for the gui
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:44:16 +0200

Torsten wrote:
On 25.06.2013 23:02, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
In addition I found that several English phrases in the GUI aren't
mentioned in the .ts file. I've added what Ifoundbelow.

TIA

Philip

========missing text=========

==================
Preferences widget
==================
Cancel (on button)

For nl_NL all qt-elements in the dialogs are in English whereas other
languages are recognized by qt. Checking the directory
/usr/share/qt4/translations
I found out that there is no dutch translation for qt!

Editor styles tab
-----------------
Default, Comment, Command, Number, Keyword, Single-quted string,
Operator, Identifier, Double-quoted string

In /usr/share/qt4/translations I also discovered a few translation files
for Qscintilla (cs,de,es,fr,pt_br and ru). I therefore also added a
QTranslator to the gui which tries to load the appropriate qsci language
file.
Changeset: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/cd29604214c5

Terminal tab
------------
Cursor type

"Translation" is correctly checked for this label ("Cursor type:") in
settings-dialog.ui and it can be found in the file nl_NL.ts.

I think I meant this only as the "block" inside which the stuff below is found. I'll have a look.

IBeam cursor, Block cursor, Underline cursor

Confirmed, updated in the sources.
Changeset: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/54c370a00a4a

Terminal tab
------------
Terminal colors
foreground, background, selection, cursor

Confirmed, those will be updated in the language files.

Workspace tab
-------------
automatic, function, global, hidden, inherited, persistent

These already are included in the language files.

============
File browser
============
Name, Size, Type, Date modified

Like for the qt-dialog elements there is no dutch translation for these
qt-strings

======
Editor
======
right click on code:
Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select all

These are now (cset cd29604214c5) translated if the Qscintilla
translation file is found.

This leads to the question what we should do with the Qscintilla
translations for languages not supported by Qscintilla itself. I suggest
to add the relevant Qscintilla source files while scanning all sources
for text strings that have to be translated. There are altogether 108
descriptions of the editor styles for the supported programming
languages (and a few strings for the editor's context menu).

And what about the languages missing in the qt translations?

Wow, a lot of work, Torsten, thanks.

What do you me expect me to do now for the nl_NL.ts file?

Philip