Re: Syntax trees from strings

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Syntax trees from strings
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:53:44 -0400

On 06/28/2013 08:24 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

On Jun 28, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal<address@hidden>  wrote:
Generating parse trees from code would be very useful for automated
code generation as well...and research in general of course.
I would like to know what is their stand in relation to releasing
their developments back to the community. In Octconf the speaker from
Coursera politely avoided my question in this regard.

I don't have an answer for this question (I'm not the one working one this, I'm
just passing on a question I was asked in the hallway).

But if anybody knows if we are able to generate syntax trees from a string
(rather than a file) then I'd be interested to hear about it.

The eval function generates a parse tree and then evaluates it. Look at eval_string in oct-parse.in.yy in the current sources.