Re: Failed to build package libpng while building mxe-octave natively

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Failed to build package libpng while building mxe-octave natively
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 20:48:03 -0400

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Goffioul <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
To: Anirudha Bose <address@hidden>

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:
I got this error while trying  to build libpng in MinGW.

In file included from pngpriv.h:129:0,

                 from png.c:14:

pngstruct.h:27:18: fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

make[2]: *** [libpng15_la-png.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ani/mxe-octave/tmp-libpng/libpng-1.5.13'
make[1]: *** [build-only-libpng] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ani/mxe-octave'

I do have zlib installed on my system. Anyone else encountered this error?

I think it's my fault. Does this change solve the problem for you?

Yes it does. The package builds fine now. However I do suspect that the actual reason might be because of the missing line
     C:\MinGW\   /usr/local
in my fstab file inside /etc (C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\etc) directory.

It is possible that libpng didn't find the installed libraries because of the incorrect configuration.

The problem was that, because of my previous change, zlib headers and .pc file didn't get installed anymore. AFAIK the MinGW directory will be mounted automatically by MSYS at /mingw (that's how it works on my installation).

Michael.