Re: Collapsed directories in libinterp

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Collapsed directories in libinterp
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 13:54:39 -0500

On 07/03/2013 09:42 PM, Rik wrote:
7/3/13

Jordi,

I went ahead and collapsed interp-core and interpfcn into the existing
corefcn directory.

--Rik

This is going back to everything in one directory. My feeling is that there really was some sense and usefulness to the categorization, but there was a lot of confusion as a result of having, perhaps, too deep of a hierarchy but mostly because of choosing names for directories that are so similar.

With this change, now things like fft.cc are back in the same directory as mex.cc and jit-util.cc. Those seem so far afield. Also, DEFUN really is a good delineation. (I wish that DEFUN could be modified to make Octave compile faster when touching one of those built-in routines--that's the one major complaint I've had from a development standpoint.) I think that having a separation of "interp" and "corefcn" makes the most sense and perhaps bringing them back a level so that core functions fall under ./libcore or ./corefcn. Core functions really shouldn't be under ./libinterp because things like fft.cc haven't anything to do with the interpreter. The interpreter is some of the trickier code to deal with and best left to a few people to fix who really know what they are doing. I rarely ventured there. Core functions, on the other hand, are a little more broad and more straightforward--they are easy to work with once one understands the Octave data objects.

Dan