proposed changes to legend()

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: proposed changes to legend()
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 08:18:52 -0400

Rik,

I thought I'd address this to you as the you and I have made most of recent
changes to legend(), and I'd like to hear from someone familiar with legend.m
before proceeding.

Since Octave has no way to reliably determine the tightinset for gnuplot, I am
proposing implementing a different behavior for gnuplot and opengl.

In the case of gnuplot, my thought is to let gnuplot handle the location of the
keybox and the plotbox (this requires that legend() set the
activepositionproperty of the plotbox to "outerposition" when the keybox is
outside the plotbox).

For opengl, the goal is full Matlab compatibility.

I have three changesets prepared (1) new demos which highlight the problems,
(2) the new gnuplot behavior.  Which implements a behavior close to what was in
the 3.2.x series. (3) fixes for opengl.  I've placed them on the patch tracker,
and will follow up with pdf's of all the demos for both gnuplot and opengl
shortly.

Ben