Re: using Octave in a C++ program

From: c.
Subject: Re: using Octave in a C++ program
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 21:00:47 +0200

On 7 Jul 2013, at 17:40, ionone <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to use Octave in a C++ program
>
> a few questions tho:
> 1 - can i use Octave in my C++ program without installing it first ? It's
> important because i don't want people to install Octave (which is terrific
> btw) to use my program.

If your application links to Octave at least part of it must be installed for
your
application to work. If you don't want your users to install Octave themeselves
you have 2 options

1 - Build a static version of octave libs and link your application statically
to them

2 - Distribute Octave libs together with your application

Both options are quite difficult, especially if you need to support multiple
platforms.

You probably know already, but remember that being Octave GPLv3, if your
application will
also need to have the same license.

> 2 - is it compatible with OS X? It's very important to me that it is
> compatible with OS X.

Yes. I build Octave on OSX myself, but currently not with the standard OSX
toolchain,
I need to install a different compiler suite (GNU gcc 4.7)

> 3 - does Octave uses Lapack library ? if so i might consider using it.

Yes. But it currently does not seem to work correctly with the lapack library
that ships on
OSX by default (-framework Accelerate) so you need to install a different
version, for example Atlas.

> thanks

HTH,
c.