Re: Using Octave in a C++ program

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Using Octave in a C++ program
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 14:02:43 -0700

On 07/07/2013 08:41 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 08:40:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: ionone <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: using Octave in a C++ program
>
> Hi
>
> I want to use Octave in a C++ program
>
> a few questions tho:
You're probably better off asking these questions on Octave's help mail
list (https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave).  The maintainer's
list is more about coding Octave itself than coding with Octave.
> 1 - can i use Octave in my C++ program without installing it first ? It's
> important because i don't want people to install Octave (which is terrific
> btw) to use my program.
I suppose it might be possible.  Ordinarily your C++ program is going to
link against Octave's libraries for the functions you use which are
Octave-specific.  This normally means these shared libraries have to be
present on the system.  You could install them yourself, along with your
program, without installing all of Octave if you really wanted to.  You
might be able to build a completely static copy of your program as well
with everything bundled together, but that is still a little uncertain; it
would probably be a terrifically huge executable though.

> 2 - is it compatible with OS X? It's very important to me that it is
> compatible with OS X.
Yes.  We have contributors who regularly build Octave on Mac OS X.

> 3 - does Octave uses Lapack library ? if so i might consider using it.
Yes, Octave is a convenient and user-friendly front-end to many excellent
and time-tested pieces of numerical computing software including BLAS and
LAPACK.  But you could always just use LAPACK directly if you wanted.

--Rik