Re: GSoC project about binary packaging

From: Anirudha Bose
Subject: Re: GSoC project about binary packaging
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 20:25:05 +0530

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Patrick Noffke <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Patrick Noffke
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Noffke <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>>
>> files in the installation directory. Can you provide a similar basic XML
>> file to help me understand WiX?
>>

> A basic .wxs file is attached.  This will not provide any UI other
> than a small box with a Cancel button.  I'll provide some basic UI
> stuff later.

Forgot to attach the file.

Patrick

Hi Patrick. I have spent some time studying the file you have attached. I suppose you are using WiX v3.7. It seems the property LongName has been deprecated in the version I am using (v4.0). Moreover I saw a few syntax errors in your file which I have fixed now. It would be great if you clear some of my questions (I realize that the learning curve of WiX is steep).

Should we stick to the "one file per component' rule while designing our installer? It would be nice if we can group the various files in our Octave built for Windows logically. How about making Octave GUI optional during the installation if we can selectively choose which components to install?

I also don't have the translation files, so I couldn't build the MSI package. Where do I get them?

-
Ani