Re: GSoC project about binary packaging

From: Anirudha Bose
Subject: Re: GSoC project about binary packaging
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 20:35:07 +0530

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Patrick Noffke <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Michael Goffioul
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I know nothing about WiX, but what are the advantages over NSIS?

I talked about this in an earlier post, but the main one that I think
is relevant to Octave is deployment in a locked-down/Active Directory
infrastructure, where Windows Installer files are supposedly
preferred.  I'm not yet sure why this is true, or what the technical
basis is.

>> - Adding environment variables:  Here's an example of updating the
>> PATH environment variable:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1931586/can-anyone-give-me-a-example-of-modifying-windows-environment-system-variables-i
>> Note the follow-up answer that says it needs to be part of a directory
>> element.
>

> I'm really not found of programs that modify my PATH environment (actually,
> I hate them). Why do we need to add octave bin directory to the PATH?

I was just trying to give an example of adding (or editing) an
environment variable, since Anirudha asked for it.  I don't know what
variable he wanted to add.

Pat

To get Octave work on Windows 8 properly (load the GUI), someone had suggested adding the path octave\bin to the PATH environment variable. I have really forgotten who had given me that suggestion. Moreover, we could launch Octave from the command line if we add an environment variable (not sure if that is useful). :)

- Ani