Re: GSoC project about binary packaging

From: Patrick Noffke
Subject: Re: GSoC project about binary packaging
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 10:20:43 -0500

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Patrick. I have spent some time studying the file you have attached. I
> suppose you are using WiX v3.7. It seems the property LongName has been
> deprecated in the version I am using (v4.0). Moreover I saw a few syntax
> errors in your file which I have fixed now. It would be great if you clear
> some of my questions (I realize that the learning curve of WiX is steep).

Sorry, that was based on a very old example I did.  Could you please
send the fixed version, or a diff against mxe-octave (whatever is
easier at this point)?

> Should we stick to the "one file per component' rule while designing our
> installer? It would be nice if we can group the various files in our Octave
> built for Windows logically.

I think that is a good suggestion.

How about making Octave GUI optional during the
> installation if we can selectively choose which components to install?

Hmm, once QtHandles is ported over, I'm not sure how easy this will
be.  I believe octave.exe will be built with a Qt event loop, and
there will be a separate octave-cli.exe for command-line only.  I
suppose if the GUI is deselected, you could install octave-cli.exe as
octave.exe (or maybe create a shortcut?).  Michael can better answer
this.

> I also don't have the translation files, so I couldn't build the MSI
> package. Where do I get them?

The translation component was just a dummy placeholder.  You can
remove it for basic testing.  I don't know how translations have been
handled in Octave.  Are input files processed during the build?  With
Qt, you would run lupdate to extract all the text from code that needs
translation, and lrelease to turn the translated files into run-time
files. [1]

[1]
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtlinguist/qtlinguist-index.html#qt-linguist

Patrick