Re: Java - Windows7 - path issues

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: Java - Windows7 - path issues
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 22:05:51 +0200

Il 7/10/2013 9:55 PM, CdeMills ha scritto:
Hello,

A collegue asked me this afternoun "to install a version of Octave in order
to read Excell (.xls) files". He was using a 3.2.4, the version with an icon
looking like small omega, under Windows 7 64 bits. I installed cygwin and
selected as only product octave, which came as version 3.6.4 Then I
installed the packages io and java from -forge. 'io' was OK, but the java
failed; I got a message about "JAVA_HOME" not set.  I set it to
'/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Java', restarted, but it failed. Under the
'verbose switch', I got a message from sh complaining that the path name
contains illegal characters (the parens).

eventually it should be '/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Java'
as you need to escape space and parens

Did someone manage to install the java package under Windows 7 ? Which Java
JDK to install, 32 or 64 bits ?

Java is not cygwin aware anyway, so it is unlikely to work

Thanks in advance

Marco