Re: Java - Windows7 - path issues

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Java - Windows7 - path issues
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 05:18:13 -0700 (PDT)

CdeMills wrote
> Hello,
>
> A collegue asked me this afternoun "to install a version of Octave in
> order to read Excell (.xls) files". He was using a 3.2.4, the version with
> an icon looking like small omega, under Windows 7 64 bits. I installed
> cygwin and selected as only product octave, which came as version 3.6.4
> Then I installed the packages io and java from -forge. 'io' was OK, but
> the java failed; I got a message about "JAVA_HOME" not set.  I set it to
> '/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Java', restarted, but it failed. Under
> the 'verbose switch', I got a message from sh complaining that the path
> name contains illegal characters (the parens).
>
> Did someone manage to install the java package under Windows 7 ? Which
> Java JDK to install, 32 or 64 bits ?

Pascal,

I think this is a question for the Help ML.

The available Octave-3.6.4 windows binaries (MSVC and MinGW) onSourceForge
don't need cygwin, and they already contain pre-built Java and io packages.
So why bother to install Java?

I found that those binaries don't work with 64-bit Java JDK/JRE - apparently
they are built with 32-bit JDKs. But I understand your colleague does have a
32-bit JDK ("Program Files (X86)")

FYI, on the wiki there's a lengthy write-up about the Java package.

BTW the now ancient Octave-3.2.4 for MinGW was the first windows binary to
include spreadsheet I/O (io and java package). So I'm a bit surprised it
didn't work for your colleague. Did you check he has the io and Java package
loaded?

Philip