Re: converting the sockets and instrument-control packages to mercurial

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: converting the sockets and instrument-control packages to mercurial
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 14:46:28 +0100

On 11 July 2013 19:04, Andrius Sutas <address@hidden> wrote:
> On that note, I have been following the mailing list and have not noticed
> any bug reports/feature requests after the last release, or am I missing
> something here?

Not so much on the maintainers mailing list, but there is a ongoing
discussion about it on the help mailing list. Also, you've missed a
very nice presentation by Juan Carbajal at OctConf that made use of
the package and made everyone "wow! Cool"

On 12 July 2013 09:40, Stefan Mahr <address@hidden> wrote:
> The sockets package is a straight interface to raw sockets. AFAIK Matlab has
> no direct interface to raw sockets. It makes not much sense to me to merge
> something from sockets to instrument-control, since instrument-control needs
> some higher level extension to be compatible to matlab.

At the moment, instrument-control isn't Matlab compatible either. My
arguments is that we tend, when possible, evolve the code to become
matlab compatible. And so we will eventually want to merge the two
packages. By keeping the two packages in the same repository now, it
will be easier to keep the development history. And if we never merge
the packages, then we are also not losing anything.

But I'll defer to those that maintain these packages, so let me know
the decision.

Carnë