Re: java package - Mac Os X

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: java package - Mac Os X
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 07:29:16 -0700 (PDT)

PhilipNienhuis wrote
> @Pascal:
> 1. Very good on you that you got it to build. Thanks for that.
> Next question: does the Java package really work? You could try by loading
> the package and issueing the command:
> javamem
> in the Octave terminal. If you get no complaints about java_invoke or
> javaMethod I suppose it's all OK.
> If you get errors about Java framework or so not being found, chances are
> that mixing 32 and 64 bit SW just doesn't work.
> E.g., on Windows 7 (64 bit) I cannot get 64 bit Java JRE to work with
> 32-bit Octave, in spite of ov_java.oct and octave.jar being built
> correctly (they do work with a 32 bit JRE). Hopefully on Mac OSX this
> works better.
>
> 2. Did you check with the Java stuff in core Octave? Rik has added various
> mods to the files there that have been inherited from the Java package.
> IIRC there is some mention of "Framework" in the sources.
> Anyway I suppose your solution is also very worthwile for the development
> version of Octave as Java support has been integrated in core. AFAIK it
> never worked on OSX (is that right Ben?)
>
> 3. Alexander Hansen mentioned that the locations of various parts of the
> OSX Java Framework seem to be moved around with every new OSX release. Is
> there a robust method to detect where they are located, so that installing
> the Java package (and core Octave Java support) on OSX gets a bit more
> reliable?
>
> Because there are a few more patches to the Java package lying around in
> the bug & patch trackers, perhaps it makes sense to make a new Java
> package release - which may be a bit tricky as the sources have been
> removed from Sourceforge SVN (a bit prematurely IMO).
> (but I still got them on my local repos, as I've made the last few java
> package releases).
>
> Philip

1) java seems to work:
 javamem

Java virtual machine (JVM) memory info:
Maximum available memory:          123 MiB;
   (...running garbage collector...)
OK, current status:
Total memory in virtual machine:    81 MiB;
Free memory in virtual machine:     80 MiB;
2 CPUs available.
octave> x = java_new ("java.lang.StringBuffer", "Initial string")
x =

<Java object: java.lang.StringBuffer>

Unfortunatelly, xlsread still doesnt't work.

2) no - I gave up compiling under Mac OS X and use 3.6.4 from macports.

3) I guess '/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home' should be a
good starting point; it's in fact a symbolic link to the installed Java
version. Same thing for
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Libraries, under which a file
libjvm.dylib can be found

>From a pratical point of view: I work under Mac Os X in my lab, and the lab
will close Friday for the summer vacations, until Aug, 21st. So I won't be
able to test patches and new packages in between.

Regards

Pascal