Re: java package - Mac Os X

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: java package - Mac Os X
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

PhilipNienhuis wrote

> That is another issue.
>
> From an earlier post I understand you got the Apache POI .jar files in the
> javaclasspath? at minimum you'll need these two for a plain .xls file
> (BIFF8 = Excel 97-2003):
> - poi-3.x-
> <date>
> .jar
> - poi-ooxml-3.x-
> <date>
> .jar
> for .xlsx you'll need the other three as well (xmlbean, poi-ooxml-schemas,
> dom4j)
> (Just this week I spotted a bug in io-1.2.2 (private/chk_jar_entries.m)
> that hampers detection of xbean.jar, so xmlbean.jar is better)
> Maybe you got an .xls file in BIFF5 (= Excel 95)? POI cannot read that
> (JExcelAPI / JXL can)

Hello Philip,

I indeed hacked xlsread and so, and noticed I had to explicitly put two jar
files into the CLASSPATH. Now, the same evening, I tried on Fedora 19, and
it failed, as jar are named apache-poi.jar (search pattern: poi-3). So I
hardlinked it to apache-poi-3.jar to have xlsread working.

About the compilation under Mac OS X, I followed those steps:
1) download java-1.2.9 from sf
2) use package manager to install it; it sort of work except the compilation
of __java__.cc and the generation of octave.jar
3) extract the archive in a tmp dir;
4) cd tmp; ./configure; make build => fails once again
5) cd src; restore the Makefile to its original name; make build
6) cut-and-paste of the compile command; correct it, re-run it
7) cut-and-paste of the link command; correct it, re-run it
8) copied __java__.oct into Octave search path
9) modified PKG_ADD, replaced each line by the following pattern:
autoload ("java_init", which('__java__.oct'));

autoload indeeds require a full path name.

So, I am the first to have the java package compiled on Mac OS X since a
long time: as you may notice, it is not a trivial task.

Regards

Pascal