Re: java package - Mac Os X

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: java package - Mac Os X
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 02:40:08 -0700 (PDT)

CdeMills wrote

> PhilipNienhuis wrote
>>
>> That is another issue.
>>
>> From an earlier post I understand you got the Apache POI .jar files in
>> the javaclasspath? at minimum you'll need these two for a plain .xls file
>> (BIFF8 = Excel 97-2003):
>> - poi-3.x-
>> <date>
>> .jar
>> - poi-ooxml-3.x-
>> <date>
>> .jar
>> for .xlsx you'll need the other three as well (xmlbean,
>> poi-ooxml-schemas, dom4j)
>> (Just this week I spotted a bug in io-1.2.2 (private/chk_jar_entries.m)
>> that hampers detection of xbean.jar, so xmlbean.jar is better)
>> Maybe you got an .xls file in BIFF5 (= Excel 95)? POI cannot read that
>> (JExcelAPI / JXL can)
> Hello Philip,
>
> I indeed hacked xlsread and so, and noticed I had to explicitly put two
> jar files into the CLASSPATH. Now, the same evening, I tried on Fedora 19,
> and it failed, as jar are named apache-poi.jar (search pattern: poi-3). So
> I hardlinked it to apache-poi-3.jar to have xlsread working.

That's an undocumented Fedora mod, then.

I just d/led:
http://apache.proserve.nl/poi/release/bin/poi-bin-3.9-20121203.zip
and
http://apache.mirror1.spango.com/poi/release/bin/poi-bin-3.9-20121203.tar.gz

and both contain:

poi-3.9-20121203.jar
poi-ooxml-3.9-20121203.jar
poi-ooxml-schemas-3.9-20121203.jar
ooxml-lib/dom4j-1.6.1.jar
ooxml-lib/xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar

The checks in the io package refer to those names.

Well, too bad for the Fedora users; but it's good to know.
(Hmmm, just "apache-poi-3" - there's not even mention of which minor
version, 3.7? 3.9? 3.10beta?)

Anyway I have already fixed various io package sub-functions to be able to
cope with a list of possible names for each required .jar entry so this
would be an easy workaround in the io package.
So apart from apache-poi-3.jar, any other name changes?
apache-poi-ooxml-3.jar? any more?

> About the compilation under Mac OS X, I followed those steps:
> 1) download java-1.2.9 from sf
> 2) use package manager to install it; it sort of work except the
> compilation of __java__.cc and the generation of octave.jar
> 3) extract the archive in a tmp dir;
> 4) cd tmp; ./configure; make build => fails once again
> 5) cd src; restore the Makefile to its original name; make build
> 6) cut-and-paste of the compile command; correct it, re-run it
> 7) cut-and-paste of the link command; correct it, re-run it
> 8) copied __java__.oct into Octave search path
> 9) modified PKG_ADD, replaced each line by the following pattern:
> autoload ("java_init", which('__java__.oct'));
>
> autoload indeeds require a full path name.
>
> So, I am the first to have the java package compiled on Mac OS X since a
> long time: as you may notice, it is not a trivial task.

Indeed.
Hopefully, with the steps you mentioned earlier on, this can help to get
Java support for OSX compiled in the Octave dev version.

Thanks,

Philip