Re: [SOCIS] Your project has been selected

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [SOCIS] Your project has been selected
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:45:54 +0100

On 20 July 2013 14:50, Dennis Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is it too late to apply SOCIS 2013 as a student now?

No. Not at all. Applications just started.

> [...]
>
> Being as a user, I have a similar background and co-interest to one of
> the Octave active developers (I have read his googlesummer plan here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/carandraug/17001).
> I am a student in Europe, heavily using microscopy and image analysis
> for life science. So I am wondering if there is any potential work I
> could do with the ND- image package. Or else? I am happy to start with
> any image processing or graphics topics. Could anyone give me any
> suggestion, please?

If you want to work on supporting ND images, you could work on the
functions for image registration and geometric transformation. I have
also though about creating an ND image class, something that allows
indexing with channel or wavelength names for example. Those are
things that are not part of my project but I'm unsure if they're
enough work for another full proposal.

We have a list of the stuff missing in the image package [1], Octave
projects [2], and GSoC project ideas [3].

Some simpler things that may help you in getting started (from my todo
list of stuff that is not in my GSoC project) are:

* ND support in padarray (seems to already be working. Test and document)
* implement bwareaopen (should be very easy. Possibly making use of bwconncomp)
* make the Hough transform functions matlab compatible

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Image_package
[2] http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
[3] http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas