Re: [SOCIS] Your project has been selected

From: c.
Subject: Re: [SOCIS] Your project has been selected
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:48:56 +0200

On 20 Jul 2013, at 15:50, Dennis Liu <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> It seems we made it again, Octave has been selected as one of the mentoring
>>> organizations for the ESA Summer of Code in Space programme.
>>> Students from Europe and other eligible countries are invited to apply.
>>
>> Congratulations!
>> I will try to upload the news to our social pages, if the 10 kb/s allow it.
>>
>> cheers
> Hi all,
>
> Is it too late to apply SOCIS 2013 as a student now?
>
> I have been a user of Octave for three years for general purpose such
> as calculating, plotting, automating of simple image analysis, and
> have been watching the maintainer/help/bug/ list for about one year. I
> am willing to contribute to this open source project very much.
> Joining in the SOCIS project could be a good start to motivate me to
> start contributing to this community.
>
> I am familiar with C/C++, vi, make, hg, and other normal tools of
> linux environment, and feel very comfortable with archlinux as
> desktop.
>
> Being as a user, I have a similar background and co-interest to one of
> the Octave active developers (I have read his googlesummer plan here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/carandraug/17001).
> I am a student in Europe, heavily using microscopy and image analysis
> for life science. So I am wondering if there is any potential work I
> could do with the ND- image package. Or else? I am happy to start with
> any image processing or graphics topics. Could anyone give me any
> suggestion, please?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dennis

Hi,

No it is not too late, deadline is August 4.
If you wish to apply you should fill in the application form
on the socis website http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2013/.

As the application there is only visible to the project administrator, though.
I would recomend copying your project proposal also on the Octave wiki, so we
can
all see it and discuss it.

As for suggestions about the particular project you propose, I am a bit worried
that it may
overlap too much with the work already being carried out by Carnë. Please
take extra care of differentiating your proposed contribution from that already
being
done by him.

c.