Updating Agora's database schema

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Updating Agora's database schema
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:54:10 -0400

On 15 July 2013 11:56, Ahsan Shahid <address@hidden> wrote:
> How you doing? I have been working on implementing the ratings modules to
> snippets and bundles. It appears we have to reset the database so that the
> models of snippets and bundles can accommodate the new ratings fields. Is it
> feasible to reset the database?  There is no  other way to implement the
> ratings modules. And it is necessary to reset the both apps' tables.

You can update the database schema, of course, but you should not need
an upgrade path that requires deleting existing data.

I do need some sort of mechanism for updating the schema. I have heard
that South is useful for this purpose. Can you investigate this?

    http://south.aeracode.org/

For your immediate dev needs, you can do whatever you want with the
database, but at least take careful note of which schema changes you
make, because we'll have to do them on the live site.

Wendy, can you comment on South or any other method for schema updates?

 Jordi G. H.