RE: problem with fem-fenics

From: Marco Vassallo
Subject: RE: problem with fem-fenics
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:27:39 +0200

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 17:18:32 +0200
> Subject: Re: problem with fem-fenics
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Marco Vassallo
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I would really appreciate also if you could tell me if I can see somewhere
> > this code that you have produced in the past.
>
> Here you have an example done in Python that manipulates strings, it
> is slow but it works. Python is very well designed to do this kind of
> things.
> http://ubuntuone.com/7I2kMksCiSCysEqelr5WUN
> Ask me if there is something that is not clear.

Hi Jpi,
Thanks for the example!
Could you also tell me how can I run a small example which uses your code?
Because I'm having some trouble using it :-)
In fact I think that if I see the output I can also understand
better how things work.

> If you want to do it in Octave, I would suggest doing some C++ parser
> using for example tinyxml (1 or 2, though 2 seems more adequate)
> http://www.grinninglizard.com/tinyxml2/index.html or any other DOM
> structure. You could use Octave structs, but I think that could be
> quite painful and un-maintainable. You could also define your own
> class, though again, seems like re-inventing the wheel. Remeber that
> you are creating and interface, therefore maintainability should have
> high priority, because things will change!

Looking at your example, I agree with you that Python seems to be really
better for this problem,
so I will try to use it instead of Octave or C++.

Thanks again

marco