Re: [GSoC] Octave Windows installer test

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Octave Windows installer test
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 09:36:59 -0400

On 24 July 2013 21:06, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2) on the installer license page, one should avoid the button "I agree" and
> related terminology; Jordi can explain why much better than me; I think I
> did that in my installer so you can have a look there

Because you don't need to accept the GPL in order to use GPL'ed
software. It's not a EULA. If you "refuse"[1] the terms of the GPL, oh
well, you can still use the software, because that's what the GPL says
in section 9:

    9. Acceptance Not Required for Having Copies.

    You are not required to accept this License in order to receive
    or run a copy of the Program. Ancillary propagation of a covered
    work occurring solely as a consequence of using peer-to-peer
    transmission to receive a copy likewise does not require
    acceptance. However, nothing other than this License grants you
    permission to propagate or modify any covered work. These actions
    infringe copyright if you do not accept this License. Therefore,
    by modifying or propagating a covered work, you indicate your
    acceptance of this License to do so.

It's a small but important detail: the GPL gives you rights, even if
you don't want them. A EULA just takes rights away. One is free and
doesn't even require your permission. The other is non-free.

        It's important to decondition Windows users that they have to click on
"I Agree" in order to use software.

- Jordi G. H.

[1] Scare quotes because it's difficult to even prove in court that
license terms can be refused. Witness the difficulties people have had
getting Windows refunds by refusing the terms of the Windows EULA.