Re: New @ bookmark on Savannah repo

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: New @ bookmark on Savannah repo
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:17:34 -0400

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 16:39:14 -0400, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> tl;dr: Do "hg update @" next time you pull from Savannah and
> preferrably use hg version 2.4 or later. When switching branches,
> prefer "hg update @" instead of "hg update default".
>
> Explanation follows.
>
> I have just pushed to Savannah a new bookmark called "@". The point is
> that since I am recommending our GSoC students to use bookmarks
> instead of named branches to track their development, it seems
> inconvenient to not have some sort of bookmark for our main changes on
> the default branch.
>
> The @ bookmark is a bookmark that gets special treatment since
> Mercurial 2.4. The special treatment that it gets is that on new
> clones, hg by default updates to the @ bookmark and makes it active.
> The active bookmark is the one that gets follows you (advances) when
> you make a commit. So when you do "hg update @" and make new commits,
> you'll be advancing the @ bookmark. This will help from distinguishing
> our heads from students' heads on the default branch.
>
> It's not great tragedy if we forget to advance the "@" bookmark, or if
> you're using an older hg version. By their very nature, bookmarks are
> rather ephemeral, so we can always advance it later.

Thanks Jordi, good explanation and a nice new feature to know about. I
wondered why @ showed up the last time I cloned hg itself. I had been
keeping my own "master" bookmark (guess where I got that name from!)
to keep track of the main head versus my working head, but this is
much better.

If using hg >= 2.4, does @ also get pushed automatically or would I
have to "hg push -B @"?

Needless to say I should keep my own bookmarks out of the main Octave
repository, but is it in general good practice to push and delete
bookmarks as needed to my own public clone, or should I keep them to
my own working copy only?

Thanks,

--
mike