Re: merge classdef to default?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: merge classdef to default?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:49:13 -0400

On 07/30/2013 11:40 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

That's a difficult decision. But if the classdef support was not part of
the original feature list, I'd say leave it for later. I don't think  it
would cause any harm to merge, most of the code is independent from the
rest of octave, except for the package support which touched the
load-path and symbol-table aspects.

OK, that's a reason to wait until later I guess as this part hasn't had much testing. But we are still a while away from the release, so I think that it would get sufficient testing if we merged soon.

The problem is indeed to have only
partial classdef support and advertise it. I'm not opposed to the merge,
bug if it's to get tons of bug report about things not being
supported/implemented, then no thanks.

I expect we would see some bug reports.

Maybe we could add a big fat warning, whenever some aspects of classdef
are being used, that say this is WIP and incomplete, please don't report
any bugs about unimplemented features?

I'm not sure I'd mind those too much. At least it would tell us what features people use. But I suppose it would be easy enough to add a "classdef support is experimental and incomplete" warning when classdef constructs are parsed.