Re: The Manual

From: Rik
Subject: Re: The Manual
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 11:49:47 -0700

On 08/01/2013 08:01 AM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
> You have made great improvements to the Manual.  This
> has been much needed.
>
> While looking through it I noticed two things:
>
> 1. The formatting of the Table of Contents has a minor
>     problem.  The page numbers are not fully right-aligned
>     to the page width.  This has the effect that in a few cases
>     the section text does not fit and so creates an additional
>     line.  Right now this has the effect that the last line of
>     the Table is on a new page.  I tried to find where the TOC
>     page width is set, but could not find it.  If you know how
>     to fix this it would improve the appearance quite a bit.
>     Or, if you tell me where to look, I could try to figure it out!

Ugh, the Table of Contents is produced by Texinfo with the @content macro
in octave.texi.  The actual definition of the macro comes from Texinfo and
is in doc/texinfo.tex.  This looks hard to change.

> 2. Quite a long while ago I wrote Section 15.3.3.  At the
>     time I put in short descriptions of all the Properties that
>     I could figure out, but many are blank.  If you have a list
>     of needed improvements, this should be on it.  And, if anyone
>     is willing to do the work it would be a big improvement.

Two commands will be helpful here.  First use

h = GRAPHIC_OBJECT;

to get a handle to a particular object such as figure, axes, line, surface,
patch, etc.

To get the list of all possible properties

get (h, "")

To see what the defaults are

set (h)

Sometimes you still need to look in libinterp/corefcn/grapics.in.h to see
what the defaults are.

> Also, for quite a while I have intended to edit all of the plots.
> Currently, none of them have titles or axis labels.  All
> plots which are intended for real use should have appropriate
> titles and axis labels, so those in the Manual should too.  I will
> try to work on this soon.

I really agree with that sentiment.  For anyone who wants to help, the
files which generate images for the manual are in doc/interpreter/*images.m

--Rik