Re: clean up commit messages?

From: c.
Subject: Re: clean up commit messages?
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 05:34:27 +0200

On 5 Aug 2013, at 16:54, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 5 August 2013 03:04, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 4 Aug 2013, at 17:08, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Just force a push and make sure your bookmark is on the new branch.
>>> I'll strip the bad branch later. And Carlo, just make sure you pull
>>> the new branch.
>>
>> With the intent of looking at Kai's code
>> and cleaning it up till it is ready to be
>> merged to the main repo, I pulled from Kai's
>> repository to my local clone.
>>
>> I am a bit confused now because the graph
>> of my local mercurial clone looks like this:
>>
>> http://mox.polimi.it/~carlo/octave_repo_graph.html
>
> Okay, so the issue is that all of the merge commits are on a different
> order on your repo than on his, so it makes the graph look more messy
> because all of the merge parents are way back in history. You can
> still see his changes, and you can just ignore the merge commits
> because they make the DAG look messy. A good way to look only at his
> own changes is
>
>    hg log --patch --verbose --no-merges --user k.ohlhus
>    hg log -pvMu k.ohlhus  ## abbreviated
>
> Kai has also been working on rebasing his own repo just to remove the
> merge commits. He hasn't pushed this yet.
>
> I have stripped his pre-rebased branch from his public repo. If you
> want to wait for him to rebase, strip now too:
>
>    hg strip 4b92af851dd1
>
>> I am very hesitant to work on this very messy repo now,
>
> It's not that bad. It's just that the merges make the DAG look messy
> when pulled in a different order. We don't have to throw out all the
> history of his work.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Jordi, Kai,

It would be nice to use this experience to describe clearly a well-defined
procedure
for working on a new feature in a separate clone in a way that makes the final
merge
as painless as possible.

I'd like to start a wiki page about this if there isn't one already, would you
like to help me with it?
I some text for it could be taken from Kai's blog, how should this page be
named?

There's no hurry though as I'll be away with limited internet access for one
week starting tomorrow.

c.