Re: Something to test for me in Matlab

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Something to test for me in Matlab
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 08:48:35 -0400

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08/07/2013 08:15 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 3:15 AM, vathomas <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    I have attached the output.

    best
    Thomas

    testfig.pdf
    <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4656442/testfig.pdf>

Thanks. So there appear to be a few differences between what Matlab
produces and what TeX produces.

Shouldn't we consider TeX to be correct in any case where there is a difference?

Not if you want Matlab compatibility ;)

One difference is the handling of white spaces. TeX folds any sequence of white space into a single one (and I think it completely ignores white spaces in math mode). So "a      b" is printed the same as "a b". Not sure you want that behavior in figure titles or labels. Because of of non-special-handling of whitespaces in Matlab, "a^ {12}" does not print "12" as a superscript, the superscript is actually the white space.

Another difference is successive superscript and subscript. TeX would print "a^1^2_3" with the "2" and "3" aligned vertically, on the right of the "1" superscript (it would also choke on that if you run in interactive mode). Matlab seems to fold the "1" and "2" into a single superscript, such that "1" and "3" are aligned vertically.

Michael.