Re: ImageMagick error during 'make check'

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: ImageMagick error during 'make check'
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:17:57 +0100

On 6 August 2013 22:27, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 08/05/2013 11:01 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>> On 5 August 2013 18:53, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> 8/5/13
>>>
>>> Carnė,
>>>
>>> I'm bringing this on to the Maintainer's list.
>>>
>>> What should the default behavior be if you call image() with no arguments?
>>> Does Matlab automatically invent an image?  Or does it create an image with
>>> no data?
>>>
>>> It seems like the sensible thing would be to either warn that the function
>>> was called incorrectly or to create a null image object in the same way
>>> that text() will create a valid text object, but with the string set to "".
>> This is an easter egg in both Octave and Matlab. Depending on the
>> version Matlab shows a different image that has some history behind
>> it, in some cases related to people who donates more [1].
>>
>> What I would do would be to either change the format of default.img,
>> or stop treating default.img as an image file.
> 8/6/13
>
> Carnë,
>
> I just found another instance of this problem in struct2hdl
> (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/b1fd3dc31c42).  As long as
> were going to keep this easter egg we should convert it to a filetype that
> can be read.  Please go ahead and do that.

Another instance but indirect. This could still be fixed by having
image() use load instead of imread(). But if I'm converting
default.img to an actual image file, what format should I use? Also,
should I create a normal image or an indexed image. What is the
purpose of this image? It would be nice to have several images with
different characteristics but I'm wary of committing binary files to
the repository.

Carnë