Re: [GSoC - Latex markup] - Daily updates ( 05 - 09.08 )

From: Patrick Noffke
Subject: Re: [GSoC - Latex markup] - Daily updates ( 05 - 09.08 )
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 09:57:55 -0500

Copying the maintainers list.

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Andrej Lojdl <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2013/8/6 Andrej Lojdl <address@hidden>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>>            TUESDAY
>> ======================
>> = solve problem with alpha channel
>> - add piping and shrink image
>> ---------------------------------------
>

> Problem with alpha channel was in char type, so now code use
> uint8_t type to read data from image and transfer it to uint8NDArray.
>
> As I wrote in last mail, Image Magic can't shrink image with convert.
> But this don't have to be a problem. Because if we change size with
> -r parameter in GhostScript or with size parameters (tiny, ... , Huge )
> text looks nice on plot. I started to investigate piping and I need help.
> There are some thinks I'm not sure how they function.

I think you should pick the resolution based on the current screen
resolution, not on the LaTeX font size (tiny, small, normal, ...,
Huge).  Changing the LaTeX font size will just result in a bigger
image.

> In my opinion the next thinks should be worked on:
> - add font selection - with Latex \selectfont command.
> - change font size - there are two possible solutions or we convert font
> size
> and change font size directly in Latex or we change resolution and with this
> simulate changing of font size.
> - change font color - there are two possible answer here too. Or we change
> color in Latex or in Octave. I tried changing color with Latex but there are
> problems with rendering then. The text with changed color is totally
> corrupted

Matlab does honor the font-related properties when interpreter is
latex.  I thought it would not.  But you could also have the case
where the user can enter text like:

xlabel('\fontsize{24}{12}\selectfont{Text}', 'interpreter', 'latex');

So you don't always want to set \fontsize explicitly in your LaTeX string.

I'm not sure what should happen if the user also enters the 'fontsize'
property.  Matlab gets confused when you do this.  I'm not clear
exactly what's happening.  When you specify font size with \fontsize
and with 'fontsize' property, it changes the result from just
\fontsize (it seems to make it bigger for some combinations of font
size, but then text disappears for other combinations).

Matlab does not seem to support the \color LaTeX command (or I'm using
it wrong).  Instead, you have to set the 'Color' property.  Perhaps
Matlab is explicitly setting \color in the LaTeX string all the time.

Patrick