Re: extra head

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: extra head
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:07:36 -0500

I've read some of the bookmark background on HG, and I get the point of them now. They are, in fact, a branch--but as Jordi pointed out, an ephemeral branch. Once that branch is merged via a bookmark modification (deleting it, repositioning a similarly named bookmark somewhere else), there is no record of the branch or name. That behavior is different from tagged branches.

One problem is that, I think, developers really want to treat the default tip as a tagged branch and not a bookmark. The ramifications are small if a bookmark becomes divergent (just merging is the thing to do...because essentially that is what HG is supposed to do, and then discard that branch as though it never existed). If a developer fails to configure their HG to automatically advance the @ bookmark upon commits, then the bookmark isn't pointing at the latest code. Subsequent users who

hg update @

might make some edits that conflict with what already exists. Nothing is lost of course, it's just that HG will complain, or launch the merging tool, or something.

I'm wondering if the clean that Ben is using

hg update -C @

is something that shouldn't be done with bookmarks. I think what might have happened is that Ben updated his repository and working copy to the latest. Made some changes and pushed that. But in between someone might have pushed some items and moved the @ bookmark. (Or an equally plausible scenario is that Ben pulled from the repository when the bookmark wasn't pointing at the most recent code.) Perhaps somehow the -C clean is detaching Ben's @ bookmark from the @ bookmark in the default branch (which has been repositioned). Hence the complaint:

divergent bookmark @ stored as @default

I wonder if without the -C option mercurial would have successfully tracked the bookmark movement, merged then discard the temporary branch.

Dan