Re: Question of JITC

From: Max Brister
Subject: Re: Question of JITC
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:52:52 -0700

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM, lyh.kernel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Max,
>
> I am wondering whether the type inference you implemented is incremental or
> not. Incremental means for a user defined function, we may do type inference
> on it without considering argument type, storing the inference result. When
> the function is called, we could get data type of parameters and do further
> inference based on previous semi-finished result.
>
> Thanks a lot

Hi Lyh,

That is a good question. Calling user functions from JIT is not
supported yet (as opposed to builtin functions, like sin, where a few
are supported). We do support compilation of anonymous functions, but
we can't call them from JIT.

An implementation would probably be incremental. The idea is to extend
jit_instruction to support calls to user defined functions. The
important method to override is the infer method, which does type
inference based on the current guess of the argument types[1].

[1]
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/91691d74845d/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.cc#l724

--
Max Brister