Enter into octave community

From: Ankit Shah
Subject: Enter into octave community
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 21:32:21 +0530

Hi everyone, I want to contribute to the octave community and also want to take part in gsoc 2014 as a programmer at octave. I had talked to JuanPi before during mid of gsoc '13 who instructed me to read about gaussian packages that he was working on. I'm sorry to lose contact cause of my academics at that time. Now I want to contribute to octave. I wish to work on some C++ project as I'm a bit good and comfortable at that. Secondly If there's no free slot on such project then I'm also interested in GUI programming. I don't know much about GUI, but would love to first learn and implement the GUI libraries that octave uses. I've currently started learning OpenGL. I looked through the wiki page on Summer of code Ideas and some of the mathematical projects also fascinated me like the logm, funm, and sqrtm and would love to contribute to same if they are free and not being implemented by others. I've not yet read the entire page.

I'm acquainted with Octave as I had used it for my Machine learning course. I'm using Ubuntu 13.04. Please instruct me as to how do I actually start by contributing small code patches. What do I need to clone using mercurial? Also what is Octave-Forge and do I need it here for contributing patches or other code or mercurial will do? How do I start understanding it and work on any of the free slots of gsoc projects?

I'm sorry for the long mail with many questions. Feel free to answer them to your convenience. Any suggestions or link to documentation or projects to be implemented are welcome.

--
Ankit Shah