Re: MXE Octave: "... has no symbols" warning under Mac OS X

From: Anirudha Bose
Subject: Re: MXE Octave: "... has no symbols" warning under Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 22:18:08 +0530

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sep 22, 2013, at 2:05 AM, Anirudha Bose wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Benjamin Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2013, at 3:33 PM, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > This will be a very long process. I can try it though. Or better if I can find some tools to automate this job. For future use should I include your scripts in my MXE repo, so that others can try reusing your scripts?
>>
>> If you think my scripts are the correct approach, then go ahead and commit them. However, maybe before committing my scripts to your repo, maybe its a good idea to first determine the reason my scripts aren't working for you with the MXE approach?
>>
>> The good thing about mxe-octave is that it has grown very diverse and capable of doing many things. I am not familiar with m-scripting so I will have trouble debugging your scripts. But maybe someone else can reuse your scripts to make them work with MXE. I have come up with a temporary solution in Python and I have been able to produce a working application bundle of Octave for Mac OS X. I have committed all the scripts to my repo since it will be handy to have them all at one place.
>
> I'll pulled a copy of you repo.  I haven't used mxe before.  What commands are needed to produce a MacOSX app?
>
> Hi Ben.
>
> Here are the steps for compiling Octave from MXE.
> 1. Check the requirements for Mac OS X in the file mxe-octave-anirudha/index.html#requirements.
> 2. Build Octave with the command "sudo make octave".
> 3. Make sure you have Macports version of gfortran installed in your machine. I will commit a change to add gfortran in the list of requirements.
> 4. If you are able to get a successful build, then you can use my script mxe-octave-anirudha/darwin_files/standalone.py to rewrite the Mach-O headers. Make sure you have created octave.app in the "dist" directory inside mxe-octave-anirudha. You can find information on how to use standalone.py is present inside the file.
>
> Let me know if you face any problems.
>
> - Anirudha

I think I'm in need of a bit more detail.  I've cloned your repo.  Does your repo include all the mxe stuff and your changes?  I see a configure.ac and Makefile.in.  Do I start with autoconf -> configure -> make?  To build a Darwin app are there any specific options needed?

Oops! Sorry for missing that out. Do autoconf -> ./configure --enable-native-build --enable-shared --disable-static --target=darwin --build=darwin --host=darwin --enable-pic-flag --enable-64 -> sudo make octave

- Anirudha