Re: Integrating audio functionality in to Octave

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Re: Integrating audio functionality in to Octave
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:15:43 +0200

2013/9/26 Vytautas Jancauskas <address@hidden>
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Pantxo Diribarne
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I successfully built octave on mac from your repo.  Tests often fail or
> crash (segfault) octave :
>
>  - make check: either crashes during audio function tests (if one of them
> fails) or at the end, after reporting a few known failures.
>
> - in octave, "test @audioplayer/audioplayer": fails (and sometimes crashes,
> it is not entirely reproducible) most of the time at the 3rd test showing
> the following error log:
>
> octave:1> test @audioplayer/audioplayer
>   ***** test
>   audio = randn (2, 88200) - 0.5;
>   fs = 44100;
>   player = audioplayer (audio, fs);
>   assert (!isplaying (player));
>   play (player);
>   assert (isplaying (player));
>   sleep (1);
>   stop (player);
>   sleep (1);
>   assert (!isplaying (player));
>   assert (player.CurrentSample, 0);
> !!!!! test failed
> ASSERT errors for:  assert (player.CurrentSample,0)
>
>   Location  |  Observed  |  Expected  |  Reason
>      ()         50176          0         Abs err 50176 exceeds tol 0
>
>  - in octave, "test @audiorecorder/audiorecorder": crashes octave
> (segfault).
>
> I am clueless : I have tried to use MacPorts (with atlas instead of
> accelerate) for dependencies instead of Fink, I also tried to use
> g++-fsf-4.7 instead of clang, but errors seems to be consistent with both.
>
> Let me know If you think there are tests I could do to help debug this.
>
> Pantxo

None of the tests fail here, on Linux. The particular test that failed
is weird too. Could there be some issue with the sleep function? Does
PortAudio generally work alright? If you try using audioplayer
manually does it work without issues?

I recompiled after pull/update using different C/CXX FLAGS as suggested by Ben Abott, and now I see that 2/4 audiodevinfo tests fail during "make check", and audioplayer crashes make check.

The 2 last tests in audiodevinfo have a typo : in the second loop
assert(devinfo.('input')(i).('Name') == audiodevinfo(0, ...
should be
assert(devinfo.('input')(i).('Name') == audiodevinfo(1, ...
Now in octave,  "test @audioplayer/audioplayer" fails (or most often crashes) but if I copy the failing test and paste it, it works. I could not see any problem playing manually with various audioplayer methods.

I tried replacing sleep by pause but it didn't change anything.

Finally "test @audiorecorder/audiorecorder" segfaults, and playing with audiorecorder I still have the same issue as described in this thread [1].

Once again I can do tests if you have ideas.
Pantxo

[1] http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Audiorecorder-Player-segfault-tc4655963.html#a4656218