Re: AppData

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: AppData
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 16:46:38 +0100

On 27 September 2013 11:47, Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> The GNOME desktop people are working on a package manager (called
> "Software"), which require some metadata from the individual applications
> (such as Octave). It seems they will also have a few select applications that
> will get promoted as being "Frikin' Awesome". It further seems Octave is such
> an application [1].
>
> The developers ask the community the provide this metadata. I've filled in
> some basic information at [2]. Could somebody check and improve what I filled
> in?

Going a bit deeper and reading on AppData[3], the reason why they ask
us to fill this information is because we don't ship it. If I
understood their request correctly, filling that info will solve it
for Fedora users. But the "right way" would be by having Octave
distribute a file in /usr/share/appdata/%{id}.appdata.xml with this
information so that any software center can find this information.
Should I open a bug report for this?

Carnë

[3] http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/