Re: AppData

From: Rik
Subject: Re: AppData
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 16:31:02 -0700

On 09/28/2013 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Message: 2
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 16:46:38 +0100
From: Carn? Draug <address@hidden>
To: S?ren Hauberg <address@hidden>
Cc: Octave Maintainers <address@hidden>

On 27 September 2013 11:47, S?ren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> The GNOME desktop people are working on a package manager (called "Software"), which require some metadata from the individual applications (such as Octave). It seems they will also have a few select applications that will get promoted as being "Frikin' Awesome". It further seems Octave is such an application [1].
>
> The developers ask the community the provide this metadata. I've filled in some basic information at [2]. Could somebody check and improve what I filled in?
Going a bit deeper and reading on AppData[3], the reason why they ask
us to fill this information is because we don't ship it. If I
understood their request correctly, filling that info will solve it
for Fedora users. But the "right way" would be by having Octave
distribute a file in /usr/share/appdata/%{id}.appdata.xml with this
information so that any software center can find this information.
Should I open a bug report for this?
Sure.  It seems like a good thing to get right before a release.  Is it just a static text xml file?  This should be pretty easy to write and just add under Mercurial control.  To get it distributed with the tarball just put the file name in the EXTRA_DIST list of the appropriate Makefile.am.

--Rik