Re: octave on development level

From: c.
Subject: Re: octave on development level
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 11:31:20 +0200

Hi,

On 3 Oct 2013, at 10:46, Dmitry Roshchin <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Furthermore, we are always hoping to keep a close relationship with
>> our downstream distributors. If you're packaging Octave for openSUSE,
>> please say hi on the Octave maintainers' list <address@hidden>
>> and let us know what you're planning to do exactly.
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.

I'm moving the discussion to the maintainers list as Jordi suggested.

> Personally I don't need GUI for octave, but many people are asking about
> unstable versions. openSUSE provides some unstable software for beta testing
> (usually as big  as KDE or GNOME). So I want to provide development versions
> in our science repository. It's quite easy to maintain two octave versions in
> the case of nonparallel installation, in any case such packages are ready.

I personally think it is a good idea to have the development version packaged
(as long as it is made __very__ clear to users that it is an unstable version)
as it allows for

- broader testing prior to new stable releases
- shorter delay between new stable release and package distribution

so I'd say if you have the new packages ready please go ahead and distribute
them.

If you have the time, it would also be great if you could write a wiki page
similar to
this

 http://wiki.octave.org/Debian#Pre-compiled_binaries

about openSUSE.