Building/installing Octave as a non-administrator on a sudo system

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Building/installing Octave as a non-administrator on a sudo system
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 12:05:09 -0500

I'm curious how many developers have attempted building and install Octave as a non-administrator on a system with sudo. A non-administrator is someone who does not have privilege to run "sudo". I might guess it is few, as most people on this list are the admin type who automatically opt for sys-admin status given the chance.

Given trends, I've now had the experience of working on a sudo-linux system. I created my account to be non-administrator, thinking there was always the default "user" account as a fallback. It wasn't enjoyable building and installing Octave this way.

Things seemed to build fine. And I could run. Installing packages didn't go well, however. The complaint from "pkg" command was that there is no "mkoctfile". Eventually I figured out that one simply had to make and install octave as an administrator, then "mkoctfile" was available. But of course, being a non-administrator meant I couldn't run sudo. Nor could I log in to the "user" account and run sudo. I had to exit the Desktop and log in to the "user" account. Going back to my non-admin account and now running under a non-local Octave, mkoctfile was visible, but the package files existing as *.oct object files weren't visible until I added to the search path the directories where the .oct files existed.

I suppose that the pool of un-experienced, non-admin users who will attempt an Octave build is small, but before the next release we should probably put some thought into how Octave now works for the non-admin sort, e.g., do packages install without problems when an account is non-admin.

Dan