Re: Building/installing Octave as a non-administrator on a sudo system

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Building/installing Octave as a non-administrator on a sudo system
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 20:11:55 -0500

On 10/05/2013 07:32 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 12:05:09 -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
I'm curious how many developers have attempted building and install Octave
as a non-administrator on a system with sudo.  A non-administrator is
someone who does not have privilege to run "sudo".  I might guess it is few,
as most people on this list are the admin type who automatically opt for
sys-admin status given the chance.

I do this regularly. If I have no admin privileges whatsoever, I
install into my home directory. Even on my home machines where I do
have admin privileges, I simply make a directory /opt/gnu/octave as
root, chown it to be owned by my user account, and then install into
there.

Yes, that would keep the binary outside of the user account. Although, for a user with, say, limited account disk space, maybe it would make sense to build in the /tmp directory and use

   ../configure --prefix=$HOME

and add $HOME/bin to the PATH,

That way the executable would be in the account, but the object files in /tmp and eventually discarded.

Dan