Re: qt-settings file

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: qt-settings file
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 22:33:57 +0200

On 08.10.2013 21:22, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 10/08/2013 02:46 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>
>> Only one: I think fairly early on we tried to make the options
>> descriptive rather than numeric so that there isn't confusion resulting
>> from what the quantity within the settings file means if the version
>> changes. My thinking is that it is only the really old versions that are
>> a problem, but I think most beta testers are beyond that because there
>> was a problem with Octave freezing around then if the settings file
>> wasn't just so. Torsten did most of the work there, so he'll have a
>> better perspective.
>
> My concern is that since I added the community news page, the initial
> layout will probably be bad if you use an old qt-settings file.

Old entries in the settings that aren't used anymore should not be a
problem; they are just not read. But I agree that an (very) old window
state in the settings can cause a wired layout at the first start. But
in this case we have the menu entry "Restore default window setting".

I wouldn't be happy if my existing settings file with fine tuned editor
styles was overwritten by the next release. Instead I suggest to check
if a settings file exists (this is already done) and pop up a dialog
with a warning that an old settings file was detected and that it is
strongly recommended to overwrite this with the default settings file.

Another option would be to use subfolders within .config/octave named as
the octave version. A new release could ask at startup whether the
default file should be written in the new folder or whether the settings
file from an older version folder should be copied. Subfolders with the
version number as name already exist and are used for the prepared lexer
apis of qscintilla.

Torsten