Re: qt-settings file

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: qt-settings file
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 02:04:09 -0500

On 10/08/2013 02:22 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 10/08/2013 02:46 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Only one: I think fairly early on we tried to make the options
descriptive rather than numeric so that there isn't confusion resulting
from what the quantity within the settings file means if the version
changes. My thinking is that it is only the really old versions that are
a problem, but I think most beta testers are beyond that because there
was a problem with Octave freezing around then if the settings file
wasn't just so. Torsten did most of the work there, so he'll have a
better perspective.

My concern is that since I added the community news page, the initial
layout will probably be bad if you use an old qt-settings file.

I suspect that is a minor problem. Most users will probably drag and expand their main GUI window so it takes up most of the screen. Those window dimensions get saved in the settings file and will be retrieved for the next launch, be it a new version needing more screen space.

If any panels get lost somehow, I think they are listed in some menu where they can be reshown.

It would be easy enough to modify just the layout settings within the settings file, but I think for the most part the layout will be OK with a version change.

Dan