Re: Fork of Octave Forge video package

From: Yufei Yuan
Subject: Re: Fork of Octave Forge video package
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 12:14:31 -0400

----- Original Message -----

From: Carnë Draug

Sent: 10/09/13 10:24 AM

To: Yufei Yuan

On 9 October 2013 13:57, Yufei Yuan <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]

Because no one bothered to prepare a release. The package is
unmaintained so while developers accumulate patchs on it, no one
decided that the changes were good enough to actually release it (or
not worth the effort).

Well, I would think keeping abreast with FFmpeg API itself alone would justify a release, :) Since that release is not in a usable state right now. Otherwise, Octave newbies unaware of the Hg repo like me will take matters to their own hands and inevitably wasting time on issues already fixed.

> I thought it's faster track to have something working out there rather than
> waiting for it to be reviewed or having check-in privilege, especially since
> it appears that there is no maintainer for the package at this point of
> time.
>
> I would be more than happy to have the fork merged back to the official Hg
> repo if I could be granted the permission.

We changed from svn to hg exactly to avoid that. Could you host a
clone of it with your changes on it somewhere (bitbucket for example
since github is git only) where we could pull the changes from? Just
create an entry in our patch tracker [3] asking for us to pull changes
for you clones. If you can't host it somewhere, you can submit hg
changesets as files.

That sounds fine. I could certainly do that.

Carnë

[3] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=additem&group=octave