Re: Binary packages for 3.8

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Binary packages for 3.8
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:00:43 -0400

On Oct 10, 2013, at 10:09 AM, c. wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2013, at 16:00, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Ok.  I was able to do what you're working on.  The ease/robustness of the
>> approach was sensitive to the installed port variants.  If you run into any
>> esoteric weirdness, let me know.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Yes, I remember you did that's why I'm trying this approach again ...
> As you've been there already, is there any specific trick you remeber you had
> to use to make things work?
> My next step will be to create a portfile for Octave 3.7, maybe you also
> tried thi already?
> c.

I documented my attempt on the wiki.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts

There are some scripts there that you may find helpful.  The TODO at the bottom
is not up to date.  For example, I was eventually successful with mkoctfile
helloworld.cc.  I'm not certain, but I think the mkoctfile attached is my last
version (I don't think I placed it on the wiki yet).

I last modified the wiki-page while working on a bundle for 3.6.4, which I
never finished.  As a result, part of it indicates 3.7 and the rest 3.6.4
(sorry about that).  The last bundle I was successful with was for 3.7.0. The
portfile I used is attached.

For reliability it will be wise to start with ...

        port uninstall --follow-dependents --follow-dependencies octave-local

... that will ensure all variants align themselves and that any "deactivated"
ones done interfere.

Since that is a rather aggressive thing to do, I suggest adding a second
bootable hard drive just for that purpose.  After that, it should be straight
forward to combine a makefile and a bare application-template to automate the
construction of an app-bundle.  The tricky part with that lies in the Octave
shell script and the mkoctfile script.  The Octave shell script is on the wiki
at the link below.

        http://wiki.octave.org/MacOS_X_App_Octave_Shell_Script

Ben