Re: Aw: GUi won't start

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Aw: GUi won't start
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 22:43:04 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 10/11/2013 02:41 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

For MinGW I see that we now also need (according to
http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingQtOnWindows):

- ActiveState Perl
- Python2.x
- Ruby

(+ their implicit dependencies)
which may add a few complications to MXE.
Maybe the Linux variants of these dependencies can be used for
cross-compiling with MXE.

There's also another option, and that's to not use webkit. I made an
apparently bad assumption about it already being built for mingw.

It is currently only used in the new "community news" window to display
an html file. It's not absolutely necessary that the community news
window be an actual web browser. I just thought using QWebView was the
easy thing to do.

But now that I see that things like QLabel can display HTML and open
external links, then maybe there is a simpler way. If we use QLabel or
QTextBrowser instead, then any links in the community news text will
open in an external browser, but that's probably OK.

While in this case in the end it turns out to be a fairly minor dependency, I think less dependencies are always better. (A favorite quote from one of the professors of my CS minor: "small is beautiful")

So before you do too much work trying to get webkit to build with mxe,
let's experiment with these other options first.

No worries :-) with the change to qt.mk (seem my other post; just deleting the line "-no-webkit \" from src/qt.mk) QtWebKit4.dll gets built and an MXE-built Octave runs fine now on Windows, with the GUI.

There is one small glitch (see attached pic):
The contents of the NEWS pane (file NEWS) refers to the build dir, not to Octave's install dir (at least not on Windows).

BTW I see in the attached picture that it QTextBrowser *is* used.

Thanks,

Philip