Re: Indent convention for class methods in .h files

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Indent convention for class methods in .h files
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:19:08 -0400

On 10/14/2013 02:10 PM, Rik wrote:
10/14/13

All,

What is the indentation convention for class methods in .h files?

Taking a representative sample, liboctave/array/dMatrix.h, I find two
different rules.

Rule #1 : Indent bodies like if blocks

Matrix&  operator = (const Matrix&  a)
   {
     MArray<double>::operator = (a);
     return *this;
   }

Rule #2 : Don't indent bodies like function blocks

void resize (octave_idx_type nr, octave_idx_type nc, double rfv = 0)
{
   MArray<double>::resize (dim_vector (nr, nc), rfv);
}

For what it's worth, the class methods defined in the corresponding
dMatrix.cc use rule #2.

I think it should be #2.  As I recall, older versions of Emacs did
#1.  When I work on files now, I tend to change the functions that I'm
working on, but I don't just change everything because it would create
problems for merging patches from people who are working with released
versions.

But if you want to clean up more of this, now is probably a good time
to do it.