Re: Final call for bug reports

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Final call for bug reports
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:05:00 -0500

On 10/16/2013 11:34 AM, Torsten wrote:
On 16.10.2013 08:40, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

1) I see this at startup quite often.

HDF5: infinite loop closing library

D,T,F,FD,P,FD,P,FD,P,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E

I'm not quite sure how to reproduce the issue, however.

Really at startup? I always see this on exit (see bug #37713).

Just today I started seeing this at exit. The reason I might have been seeing it at startup is because of plot/graphics errors...maybe. I see the link to a discussion of this bug in Savanah. In the following test file is also a little more detail:

http://www.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/current/src/unpacked/hl/test/test_file_image.c

It has something to do with a memory reallocation failing, at least in that description. But actually, the codes are different so Octave may have a different problem.

I quickly looked at the HD5 source code that is generating this sequence of codes. (It's in H5.c.) It is designed to shut down the various interfaces that (possibly mutliple?) APIs are using. It first goes through the higher level interfaces and if those shutdown successfully, proceed to shutdown the lower level interfaces that the higher level interfaces might need. If the close wasn't successful, the loop breaks and tries again, up to 100 times. Basically, the shutdown keeps looping through the higher level interfaces until it can move on.

So, if we look at the above code sequence, it is closing a few high level interfaces without any problems. Then, there are a some midlevel interfaces, FD and P which take a few passes to shutdown. Once those are successful, the routine moves on to the Error Code interface, E. Clearly, HD5 is failing to close the Error Code interface. Why, I don't know.

Can anyone think of whether Octave might use/not use the HD5 error code in recent versions of packages that didn't happen in the past. (I think this started for me when I began using a few packages.)

3) What are the default font settings?  My preference is a mono-space
font, so I've chosen Liberation Mono 11 point as the Default and all
other text types to have the Default font.  I felt that 9 point is kind
of small for editing.  9 point suffices for the Octave output.  When the
comments are not the same font as the rest of the code and nothing is
mono-spaced, layout didn't look very organized.

The default font settings are those from the qscintilla lexers. The
default font names depend on the operating system. It would be easy to
supply other settings with the default settings file but then we would
have to take care about the existence of fonts on different platforms.

There must be a set of fonts that goes across platforms. Or perhaps a routine for a suggested font based upon a more general description? I would look into this more, but time is limited.

Dan