Re: Final call for bug reports

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: Final call for bug reports
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 08:10:33 +0200

On 17.10.2013, at 07:05, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> 3) What are the default font settings?  My preference is a mono-space
>>> font, so I've chosen Liberation Mono 11 point as the Default and all
>>> other text types to have the Default font.  I felt that 9 point is kind
>>> of small for editing.  9 point suffices for the Octave output.  When the
>>> comments are not the same font as the rest of the code and nothing is
>>> mono-spaced, layout didn't look very organized.
>>
>> The default font settings are those from the qscintilla lexers. The
>> default font names depend on the operating system. It would be easy to
>> supply other settings with the default settings file but then we would
>> have to take care about the existence of fonts on different platforms.
>
> There must be a set of fonts that goes across platforms.  Or perhaps a
> routine for a suggested font based upon a more general description?  I would
> look into this more, but time is limited.
>
> Dan

There are good fixed-width/monospace fonts installed by default on non-free
operating systems. Windows (Vista and later) has the font "Consolas", Mac OS X
(10.6 and later) comes with "Menlo". Menlo is based on DejaVu Mono. The DejaVu
font family is freely (as in freedom) available and included in many Linux
flavours [1]. IMHO Consolas and Menlo are more suitable for programming than
the classics Courier and Monaco. I think we should set Consolas/Menlo/DejaVu as
defaults on Windows/Mac/Linux for the console and the editor.

Lukas

[1]
http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download