Re: Octave on Android

From: c.
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:02:19 +0200

On 22 Oct 2013, at 14:44, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 10:56 +0200, Thomas Treichl wrote:
>>  On the subject of OdePkg (which I developed mainly myself for many
>> many many hours) I already informed Google Play Store that -from my
>> point of view- you clearly violate the GPL.
>
> What is the GPL violation? Corbin's source code is available here:
>
>    https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android
>
> If you are offended by his request for a donation, you are free to
> undo it:
>

> https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/blob/master/octave/src/com/octave/octaveMain.java#L377
>
> It is not a GPL violation to charge money for distribution. In fact, I
> encourage anyone who redistributes Octave to do so, and I specifically
> recommended to Corbin that he should take the opportunity to charge
> for it, since this is such a convenient distribution mechanism.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I believe the problem that was brought up is with the odepkg package:

"Currently, it is just the ODE and financial toolboxes that require donation."

the problem is with the "require" part and with the fact that the full patched
sources
and the corresponding build scripts do not seem to be available. Are they?

the solution offered by Corbin does not seem to be satisfactory:

" If you are unhappy with that, I am going to be adding a $1 choice soon (there
is much more changing than that soon)."

GPLv3 demands that if restrictions are applied, users have the freedom to
remove the restrictions,
a "special discount" does not look like a viable alternative to me.

c.